I've decided to spend more time on non-programming pursuits and I landed on trying to make my own root beer. I found a from-scratch recipe online that I thought might be good, but was ultimately disappointed with the results. So, I decided to try my own with the help of an extract and some of the other ingredients from that recipe. I use a Soda Stream to carbonate the water, but the syrup itself is really easy to make: it shouldn't take you more than 20-30 minutes or so:
- 3 Star Annise
- 3 cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp real vanilla
- 2 tbl Hires rootbeer extract
- 5 drops wintergreen
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups sugar
- Bring water and root beer extract to boil
- Set to medium low for 15 minutes, adding star Annise, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla. Cover.
- After steeping, remove the Star Annise and cloves.
- Add wintergreen drops
- Raise to medium heat, slowly dissolving the sugar into the mixture, being careful about not boiling over the syrup. Reduce heat, if necessary.
- After making sure the sugar is dissolved, let cool on the stove and then place syrup in fridge to chill.
Mix 1/2 cup syrup to ~1 liter of cold carbonated water.